Creagan Railway Station and Our Grounds
We are fortunate in our position, being on the shoreline of Loch Creran with spectacular views to the hills beyond. There has been a fascinating book written about the Loch and if you follow this link it takes you to a PDF copy of it which you can read at your leisure;
The grounds themselves are stunning with many trees and wildflowers. Mammals as large as Red deer to small Pipistrelle Bats occupy the area and there are a family of Pinemartins in residence, if you place peanuts on the verandah of your lodge they will usually come and feed. A large Oak tree in the grounds also provides a safe birthplace for a family of Barn Owls every year, this year we managed to get a few pics of one of the chicks. If you are lucky you may see one of the Sea Eagles who nest nearby. You will definately see Buzzards, Hawks and a huge variety of birdlife. The shore is host to a huge variety of wildlife from Seals and Otters to Crabs, Starfish, Mussels and Eels!
Creagan was the only station on the Ballachulish branch that had an island platform. There was a siding to the east of the platform, on the north side of the railway. One platform was taken out of use on 1 April 1927. Sadly the station closed in 1966, when the Ballachulish Branch of the Callander and Oban Railway was closed. Hugging the coastline from Oban the line followed three lochs and passed over two bridges one at Connel and one at Appin both of which are now road bridges. The old railway line runs to the rear of the lodges, joins the cycleway/pathway to Castle Stalker and Linnhe Marina and links up with some B roads to Port Appin. From here you can take the little ferry to the island of Lismore giving plenty of options for walking/cycling. The Station building was renovated by ourselves with the help of the local builders Eddie & Charlie.
While you are staying with us you can:
- Climb a Munro there are lots in the area..
- Take a walk including long level walking on the old railway line, Glasdrum nature reserve, or for the more adventurous try visiting the old graveyard halfway up Creagan hill behind the chalets.
- Let the kids chill out in our information room with Nintendo Wi and large screen television.
- Keep in touch on the move with WIFI area in information room.
- Go fishing loch and river fishing is free.
- Bring your bikes or hire from ourselves, we have wonderful cycling opportunities.
- Stroll down to the Creagan Inn for lunch, dinner or drinks on their wonderful lochside deck.
- Build a camp fire on the shore.
- Play Giant Chess.